Thursday 12 February 2015

St Thomas The Martyr, Upholland

I had an hour to spare so visited the above.

There has been a lot of clearing work done on the old original graveyard, all the graves are clear of weeds and grass, and some date back to 1711, so I will revisit in warmer weather to take some images.

However, I had a chance to get some interior shots thanks to the kind parishioners who were tidying up the church. It has a fascinating history going back to medieval times when it was a Priory.

One of the window images features a reconstructed window from tiny random pieces of stained glass recovered after the Priory was wrecked during the Reformation.

Fuji XM1, 35mm and 60mm Fuji lenses.


















2 comments:

  1. Beautiful images. I particularly like the low angle shots, and the broken pieces of stained glass are so poignant. I didn't realise it was once a Priory. I wonder if any Bartons were buried there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm going back next week with my wide angle lens, I was made very welcome! There are Barton graves dotted about, one or two VERY old!!

    ReplyDelete